Carry a Concealed firearm in Illinois
- Any law enforcement agency may submit an objection to a license applicant based upon a reasonable suspicion that the applicant is a danger to himself or herself or others, or a threat to public safety.
- If an applicant has 5 or more arrests for any reason, that have been entered into the Criminal History Records Information (CHRI) System, within the 7 years preceding the date of application for a license, or has 3 or more arrests within within 7 years preceding the application for any combination of gang-related offenses.
- If no objections are received from law enforcement the license shall be granted within 90 days of completing the application. If an objection is received the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board shall issue a decision within 30 days of denial in most cases.
- 21 years of age
- Current and valid Illinois FOID Card
- Have not been convicted or found guilty in this or any other state of:
- A misdemeanor involving the use or threat of physical force or violence to any person within the preceding 5 years.
- 2 or more violations related to DUI, drugs or alcohol, within the preceding 5 years.
- No pending arrest warrant prosecution, or proceeding that would disqualify owning or possessing a firearm.
- No residential or court ordered treatment for alcohol or drugs within preceding 5 years.
- Has completed firearms training and education totaling 16 Hours.
|Initial application||$150.00||Non-Refundable. Good for 5 Years.|
|Non-resident||$ 300.00.||Non-Refundable. Good for 5 Years.|
|Renewal||$ 150.00||Non-Refundable. Good for 5 Years.|
- Firearm safety
- Basic principle of marksmanship
- Care, cleaning, loading, and unloading of a firearm
- All applicable state and federal laws relating to the ownership, storage, carry, and transportation of a firearm
- Instruction on the appropriate and lawful interaction with law enforcement while transporting or carrying a concealed firearm
- An applicant for a new license shall provide proof from a certified instructor they have passed a live fire exercise with a concealable firearm consisting of:
- A minimum of 30 rounds.
- 10 shots at 5, 7, and 10 yards. These rounds will be shot at a target (B-27 silhouette) requiring a passing score of 70% or better. (21 out of 30 shots on target)
- Renewal applicant will require 3 hours of training.
- Active, retired, or honorably discharged member of the US Armed Forces – DD214 military card
- NRA Basic Pistol
- NRA Personal Protection Inside The Home
- NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home
- Prior Law Enforcement/Officer Firearms Training
- Any combined 4 hr approved courses-see list below
|Course Title||Acceptable Credit|
|Illinois Hunter Safety Course||4 hours|
|Utah Conceal Carry License||4 hours|
|Florida Conceal Carry License||4 hours|
|Nevada Conceal Carry License||4 hours|
|Missouri Conceal Carry License||4 hours|
|Kentucky Conceal Carry License||4 hours|
|Michigan Conceal Carry License||4 hours|
|Chicago Firearms Safety Course||4 hours|
|NRA Basic Pistol||8 hours|
|NRA Personal Protection in the Home||8 hours|
|NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home||8 hours|
The required documentation for prior law enforcement officers, 8 hour exemption, is a letter from their former department on department letterhead stating:
- They have completed the State of Illinois 40 hour police firearm course
- They left the department on good terms
- The letter must be signed with the printed name, position, and contact information of the person signing.
Training credits do not apply to the 2nd half of the 16 hour class, everyone must take the last 8 hours of the class.
Anyone attending one of our CICC classes should bring the following with them to class:
- Certificates or proof of your first 8 hours of training.
- Handgun, unloaded and encased, it can be brought into the classroom. However, no live ammunition can be brought into the classroom – it is to be left in your vehicle. The Instructor will safety check your handgun.
- 200 rounds of factory FMJ brass case ammunition for your handgun
- Eye protection & hearing protection.
- Pistol Cleaning Kit, if you have one. If not, CICC has plenty of pistol cleaning supplies available for you at no charge.
- Wear comfortable and casual clothes, appropriate for the shooting range.
- Smart Phone – Ipad – Laptop, if you have one for notes and any website reference. We have free Wi-Fi available in the classroom.
- Snacks / drinks are fine during class – our environment is very casual.
- You can go out for lunch or bring a sack lunch – Whichever you prefer. Coffee, Snacks, & Drinks will be provided
- Good Attitude
- Not following the orders of the certified instructor.
- Not handling the firearm in a safe and responsible manner.
- Failure to score 70% on the range. (21 out of 30 shots on the NRA B-27 black silhouette target)
If you are wondering what kind of handgun to purchase for conceal carry, I advise taking the class first. You will have learned so much more after taking the class and you will be better able to select a handgun, holster, and conceal carry method. If you do not own a handgun, and want to take the course, Central Illinois Conceal Carry has handguns available on a loaner basis, for you to use.
Illinois does not have reciprocity with any other state. If a student from Texas, Idaho, Nevada, Arkansas, Mississippi, or Virginia wants to take the 16 hours course they can apply for a non-resident Illinois CCW permit. Use caution and be familiar with each states CCW laws and regulations.
Upon completion of our class you will qualify for a Florida Conceal Carry Permit should you wish to apply for one. The website to apply for your Florida permit is: Florida CCW Permit Application By obtaining your Florida Permit you will have 35 States that you can conceal carry in and through. Central Illinois Conceal Carry will provide you a Florida application for FREE and further explain the process in class, should you want to pursue this option.
We encourage each and every one of you to join the NRA. Click the link on the side of the page to help protect and preserve our 2nd Amendment Rights. If you link to the NRA from the Central Illinois Conceal Carry website you will receive a significant discount on your NRA membership.
Add these links to your favorites for more information: